Table_for_two_product

link coming
Link coming

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Winning Mr. Wrong


I finally got my hands on Winning Mr. Wrong by Marie Higgins. I knew I had to read it the moment I saw the cover on Amazon.com. My first thought was, Who cares what it's about? It's the cutest book cover I’ve ever seen, it must be owned and read!

Often you’ll find families that possess one common skill they excel in. Down the street from us there’s a family that oozes musical talent. Down the street from them, there’s another that has athletic prowess. Even further down the street there’s a family of high fashion. Our family of six…well, we’re good at maniacal laughter, even the kindergartener. When we’re thrilled about something, it isn’t rare to see one of us hunched over, brows pulled together, mischief glinting in our eyes, and a trilling, “Mwah ha ha ha,” filling the air as we rub our hands together. I'm sure I was in such a position when I opened the box containing Winning Mr. Wrong.

My children gathered around, hoping I’d ordered a game for the Wii. When I pulled out the book and clutched it to my breast they rolled their eyes and scattered. All the better for me! I only had a few spare minutes to begin reading before it was time to cook dinner. I can have a good book in my possession, ready to read…. Or I can cook dinner well. These are mutually exclusive situations. One or the other. At dinner I finished my Lemon Herbed Chicken Helper Whole Grain Pasta before everyone else. They stared dejectedly at the slimy lumps of starch on their plates. Being too polite to read at the table, I pushed my chair back just enough to satisfy decorum, and opened my book.

The sound of forks pushing food into piles on plates was punctuated by my delighted giggles. No longer was it just the thrill of owning the book with the darling cover. Now I was getting to know Charlene Randall. She is a delightful creature. I dare say she is the most vibrant and endearing main character I’ve ever read. One of the most satisfying things in this book is the feeling of uncontrived humor. So often you can feel an author trying to be funny. In this book, you don’t feel the author at all because the main character is so engaging.

Mr. Wrong could be one of two characters. Damien Giovianni, president of a company that creates hair and skin care products, inactive Latter Day Saint, Charlene’s neighbor, and woman magnet extraordinaire is candidate number one. He’s sensitive. He speaks that language usually known only to females, i.e. make-up, emotions, and style. He’s got better taste than the Queen of England. And if he’s enamored with you, he might even do your hair, bulging muscles straining against his shirt as he gets it just right. Though he would seem a perfect catch, Charlene is looking for a forever love and she’s seen him go through women like tissues in cold season. However, he makes a great best friend and advisor when she sets her sights on candidate number two.

Charlene’s old high school crush, Maxwell Harrington, reminds me of the Jeffry I had a crush on when I was nine. My grandmother sat me down on the couch one day, worried about my crazed fixation, and explained a principle that basically destroyed any hope I had of a normal crush for the rest of my life. These are words of wisdom that make you less jealous of Angelina Jolie, put high school popularity in perspective, and level the playing field of life in a way nothing else can. Grandma looked at me, merry blue eyes sparkling, love in her maternal smile, and said, “He sits on the toilet like everyone else.” Let me just give you a moment to picture someone you idolize, and let this sink in…… (Might I suggest a President, George Clooney - who would still look really good sitting on porcelain, or Taylor Swift).

Throughout the book I began to wonder if poor Max could survive Charlene’s crush. This is where my snorting laughter comes in. My husband would stir from wherever he was in the house and come to loom over my shoulder every half hour or so. “Is it really that funny?” I’d just nod and push him away as I cuddled further into the couch, biting my lip, completely lost in Charlene’s newest quandary.

I've read that laughter is alkalizing and can kill cancer. I think I’ll read this book every year just in case.
Winning Mr. Wrong is a fresh spin on romance. It is delightful seeing the world through Charlene Randall’s eyes. My daughter is reading it now and I’m magnetically drawn to the laughter. I stand over her shoulder, still giggling with delight when I think of the story line, and ask, “What part are you on?” I read over her shoulder for a while before I can pull myself away, glad that Charlene Randall and her antics can keep me laughing days later. Thank you Marie Higgins for boosting health at the Johnson house.

6 comments:

  1. Cheryl,
    I think this is the most entertaining review I have ever written. Marie is a friend of mine and I've long enjoyed her writing and wit. Thank you for posting something that made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful review. It was so entertaining and caught me from the first line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read all your posts. Easy breezy, cheey...LOVE them. I am a new fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie is a FF and is delightful. I love this review and will be adding this book to my to be read list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheryl, you're so awesome. Thanks for making my day. What a great review!

    ~Marie~

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun review. This is not normally a genre I read, but I am really tempted.

    ReplyDelete